KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz Jägerstätter

Saturday, July 05, 2008

These Thy Gifts

Nothing steeps me in gratitude like a trip to the farmers’ market. Every Saturday morning from May to October growers from Virginia and West Virginia congregate in a nearby commuter lot and sell their wares. It is a carnival atmosphere with the colors and smells of fresh food in abundance. Quail Creek Bakery from West Virginia offers an array of tantalizing baked goods. The Blue Ridge Dairy sells the most magnificent fresh mozzarella cheese. The apple wood smoked mozzarella is heavenly. It is a struggle to limit myself to what I can use in the coming week. Beginning last week I have been able to get sweet corn—picked on Friday and sold on Saturday. Cook it the same day and no added salt or butter is needed. The taste of the naturally sweet corn is enough.

Surrounded by such a bounty I am humbled to be afforded so many blessings. I really should be grateful even when my table is set with food from the local grocery store. Though, for some reason, seeing the fruits of the earth gathered and sold directly by the farmers makes my food seem more Providential.



You can see our trip today yielded plenty of sweet corn, blackberries, peaches, cheese and a variety of breads. Look at the size of those blackberries! I bought three little boxes of these. One box is for us to snack on.



The other two boxes have already been baked into a pie.

The only proper response to such a banquet is:

Bless us O Lord and these thy gifts which we are about to receive from thy bounty. Through Christ Our Lord, Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Do you ever provide a basket of food to a needy family, not just at Thanksgiving and
Christmas but during the rest of the year?"


Might I offer another suggestion for that pie?

Doorways for Women & Families

Rosemary Bogdan said...

AMEN!!!