KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Monday, December 08, 2008

Blessed Feast Day to You!


Today is the Feast of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary. It is a holy day of obligation, or as I like to say, a "Holy Day of Opportunity".

It was wonderful to see such a full church at 6:30 this morning. There were quite a few high school students stopping in for Mass before school. Father made a point of emphasizing that as Americans, this is our feast day. The United States is entrusted to Our Lady under her title of The Immaculate Conception. I wish he had included a reminder that today celebrates the conception of Mary without the stain of Original Sin. Too many Catholics think this feast is about the conception of Jesus. The Gospel reading is the account of the Annunciation so this error is easy to perpetuate. Oh well. Perhaps I am underestimating the faithful who will get up so early on a cold December morning to attend Mass.

May Blessed Mother intercede for you on this special day and draw you closer to her son, Our Lord, Jesus Christ.

2 comments:

Rosemary Bogdan said...

And may she intercede for you too, Denise. Our Catholic gradeschool and high school both do not hold school on holy days anymore. It's great. So we could all go to the 12:00 Mass together.

Lacy said...

I love how you called it a holy day of opportunity. :-)