KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Thursday, January 29, 2009

A Bibliophile's Lent

As of yesterday, we are four weeks from the beginning of Lent. Have you thought about it? How are you going to make this Lent spiritually fruitful. Let’s move past the dieting that is going to make your Easter dress a size smaller than you wear right now. Lent should be so much more than a jumpstart on getting in to summer swimsuit shape. If you are going to sacrifice food for Lent, give the sacrifice a spiritual dimension. Offer it up. Join your sacrifice with Christ’s Passion and do it for the Poor Souls in Purgatory or for our deployed soldiers or for an end to abortion or some other greater good. A self-centered sacrifice is not really a Lenten sacrifice.

I find Lent is an excellent time to take on reading for spiritual growth.

I will be reading On Conscience written by Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger, now known as Pope Benedict XVI. You may also want to consider the Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

This question-and-answer format book takes you through the key points of the Catechism. Jesus of Nazareth, The Apostles, or The Fathers are other books by Pope Benedict that would make excellenet Lenten reading.





Peter Kreeft is another author that offers a wide variety of wonderful spiritual writing. For middle schoolers on up, his book Because God is Real is a tremendous study in apologetics.


His book Making Choices helps navigate the process of moral decisions.

Biographies of the Saints also make a great Lenten reflection. I have not read but have heard great things about the biographies of St. Thomas Aquinas and St. Francis of Assisi written by G.K. Chesterton.

Finally, I can never make a suggestion for spiritual reading without including The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis.


As the saying goes, “So many books, so little time” I hope this gives you some ideas for a Lenten reading program. Let me know if you have other suggestions as well.

2 comments:

Rosemary Bogdan said...

Thank you for these suggestions! I want to read every one!! I'll have to decide where to start.

pipmjones said...

journey to easter by pope benedict (joseph ratzinger)
please add to your lenten reading list!

pip jones, lincolnshire uk