KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Friday, January 16, 2009

January 20. 2009

Sorry it is has been a while since I posted. There has been a steady stream of significant family issues so blogging has been on the back burner. I always say every challenge is an opportunity for virtue. With God’s grace and lots of prayer I think I have weathered the week with virtue intact. I will also say that through every challenge I can see God’s hand steadying and supporting my family and me.

Living as I do in the DC Metro area, the whole place is abuzz over the upcoming inauguration. Of course, I would like to think all the fuss and the cancellation of work and school is in honor of my milestone birthday. I will just pretend it is so and enjoy having my husband and sons home to celebrate with me.

I did not support Barak Obama for president. I find his position so firmly in support of abortion to be deplorable. I believe that he can have a devastating effect on the moral fiber of this country with his acceptance of moral relativism. I am not convinced of his grasp of military and national defense issues and I do not perceive much respect for the military from him. But having said all that, on January 20, 2009 he becomes the President of the United States. Several years ago I participated in a small prayer group. We met once per week to reflect and pray on living a faithful life and spiritual growth. On the eve of initiation of combat operations in Iraq one of the women in the group spoke with great disgust and hatred for President Bush and the military. I commented that whether or not we agreed with this course of action, we should offer support and prayers for both President Bush and the military as our nation undertakes a military action. Her response was, “Why? He is not my president. I didn’t vote for him.” On January 20, 2009 I do not want to sound like this woman. I did not vote for President Obama. Certainly I want him to fail at implementing an assault against human life through the successful passage of legislation and policies like FOCA. I will use my rights as a citizen to oppose efforts that I think are not in the best interest of the United States. He is still my president. I want him to succeed as a strong, moral, righteous leader of our country. With God, all things are possible, so I will pray for President Obama as fervently as I prayed for President Bush. I will also offer a prayer of thanksgiving for the blessing of living in a country where there is a peaceful transition of power. A quick survey of countries around the world show that this is a blessing we cannot take for granted.

3 comments:

Denise said...

Good to "see" you back. I feel the same way about our President. We are blessed to live in a country with an easy transition of power and whether or not he received our vote, he should certainly be on the receiving end of our prayers. We need a good, fair and moral leader. I pray that he has a blessed Presidency. I feel so frustrated when my friends who did not vote for him hope that he "fails" in some way. That certainly seems haughty to me and not a way to really see peace in our world. But anyway.....Happy Birthday to you!!!

simplycatholic.net said...

Some good friends of mine are praying the Rosary daily for the conversion of Obama. This seems like the very best thing to do. Prayer is our best protection.

Deacon Jacob Maurer said...

Welcome back - and thank you for your thoughts on this inauguration day. I too have struggled with the disclaimers of 'He's not my president' - both in hearing others make the statement and wondering if I should now make the same claim. In the end, I agree that he is my president and while I will oppose those things he does that are wrong, I will also hold him accountable as my president - and pray for his conversion.

Respectfully,
Deacon Jacob Maurer