KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Mandatory "Volunteerism"

Remember how there were always these rumors that President Bush was going to reinstate the draft? It was complete nonsense.

This however, is not a rumor. It is actual legislation , H.R. 1388, that has passed the House and is on its way to the Senate.

You can read a more inflammatory description here.

Another description is here.

I tried. I can't make head nor tails of the actual legislation. The bits and pieces that I do read worry me. It seems this is an attempt to nationalize charitable work. Consider section 120:

‘(3) YOUTH ENGAGEMENT ZONE PROGRAM- The term ‘youth engagement zone program’ means a service learning program in which members of an eligible partnership described in paragraph (4) collaborate to provide coordinated school-based or community-based service learning opportunities, to address a specific community challenge, for an increasing percentage of out-of-school youth and secondary school students served by local educational agencies where--

‘(A) not less than 90 percent of the students participate in service-learning activities as part of the program; or

‘(B) service-learning is a mandatory part of the curriculum in all of the secondary schools served by the local educational agency.

Excuse me. I will teach my children the Corporal Works of Mercy and the Spiritual Works of Mercy. I don't need the federal government stepping in with their "service-learning curriculum".

In addition, the bill changes "clothing" in the authorized benefits list for the Civilian Community Corps to read "uniforms". Put the kids in a uniform and indoctrinate them. That does not sound like the American Way that I know.

It would behoove us all to study the principle of subsidiarity and resist this sort of federal government intrusion.

No comments: