KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Good For The Soul

The sun is shining brightly today. What a contrast from yesterday when the rain just kept on coming. Athena, my one-year-old labradinger, was behaving like a cooped up toddler. When the deluge slacked off to just a steady rain I took her for a walk. We do this walk daily. Sometimes it is the 2.5 mile walk to the lake to the west of us. Sometimes it is a 4.5 mile walk around the lake to the east of us. Without regard for the weather, Athena needs her daily walk. And, truthfully, so do I. In my pre-dog-ownership days, I would have blown off such a walk due to the rain. Athena, however, allows me no such excuse. It has been great for my waistline. I am in the best physical shape I have been in the last decade. I sometimes wonder why I will walk for my dog but I am not motivated to walk for myself.

This resistance to do what is good for me is not limited to daily walks. Think about the Sacrament of Confession. I know it is good for me. I know it is important. I feel great right after Confession. I always resolve to go more frequently. But somehow, time gets away from me. I shoot for monthly but usually make it every two to three months. I can see the benefits of frequent confessions. The longer I wait, the greater I feel the weight of sin.

This past Sunday’s Gospel highlights the importance of the Sacrament of Confession.

On the evening of that first day of the week,
when the doors were locked, where the disciples were,
for fear of the Jews,
Jesus came and stood in their midst
and said to them, "Peace be with you."
When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side.
The disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord.
Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you.
As the Father has sent me, so I send you."
And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them,
"Receive the Holy Spirit.
Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them,
and whose sins you retain are retained."

When Jesus first appeared to the disciples in the upper room, what was his first tasker for the new Church? What was the primary assignment?

Forgive sins

Christ knew that sin would still exist in the world, in spite of His Passion, Death, and Resurrection. He had reconciled the world to God. But until He comes in Glory, it is still a fallen world. Therefore, Christ gave the Church the authority to forgive sins. The priest stands in persona Christi to offer forgiveness of sins as Christ directed. There were so many things that Christ could have directed his disciples to address. He chose to put the forgiveness of sins first. Perhaps that is a signal to me to do the same.

2 comments:

Rosemary Bogdan said...

Nice post. Very good point. And btw, what's a labradinger. I get that it's a lab mixed with something. I can't figure out what the dinger part is. Springer spaniel maybe?

Catholic Mom said...

Yes, she is black lab and springer spaniel. That is one energetic combination!