KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Tuesday, May 05, 2009

The Holy Spirit in Aggieland and beyond

Amy Welborn has a good post on campus evangelization at the University of Kansas. It is modeled after the program started at Texas A&M.

Center director Father Steve Beseau had heard of a program at Texas A&M University where students wore T-shirts that invited others to "Ask a Catholic a Question."

"I brought the idea to [the staff for discussion]," he said. "I thought it was a very non-threatening way of evangelization, and I liked that."

The center staff liked it, too, but decided to tweak the question in order to provide more opportunity for personal witness. They then had bright red T-shirts printed up, with the center's logo on the front and "Ask me why I'm Catholic" on the back.

Read the whole article to see how this program is both evangelizing and building the Catholic community.

One of the comments for this post caught my eye:

I saw this on the A @ M Catholic Center website

"There are nearly 100 “Aggie Vocations” to the priesthood and religious life; and in the last nine years alone, 75 Aggies have entered seminaries, convents and monasteries around the world. In addition, this year 14 former students, a record number, have entered formation for the priesthood and religious life."

This is all at just one school. It would seem to me the United States Bishops would be taking a high interest in what is going on there. There is nothing I suspect in the water that makes Catholic college students want to be come Priest, and religious.

In addition to the great production of priests and consecrated religious, the Aggies were part of the very first 40 Days of Life program that has now spread nationwide.

I still consider myself an Aggie Mom. My oldest graduated from A&M last May but my future daughter-in-law is still a student there. It is an amazing school with a tremendous support network for Catholic students. So I think this commenter is right. The United States Bishops should be taking a look at the Catholic Community at Texas A&M. When the Aggie spirit is combined with the Holy Spirit, miracles happen.

No comments: