KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Monday, May 04, 2009

Resist the Marginalization of Parents

If you like the post I did in 2007 entitled "I am not the enemy" you will really enjoy this column by Rebecca Hagelin from today's Washington Times:

Mothers are increasingly expected to be benchwarmers in the lives of our children so we don't get in the way of the "professionals." Many public educators believe they know what is best for your son or daughter. But they can't possibly understand the unique history, gifts and needs of each child shuffled through a system built for the masses. When moms do step in, they are often accused of "interfering," being "overprotective" or "close-minded."

Girls are most vulnerable when moms are shut out - some are given contraceptives, referred for abortions, and on life's biggest questions, are taught the worldview of the "professional" in charge.

Read the whole thing. Then make a renewed commitment to be the parent of your child. It may take a "village" to raise a child, but you, as the parent, have the right to choose the "village" and determine how much assistance from the "village" you need.

2 comments:

Barb, sfo said...

If my kids' doctor ever pulled anything like that, it would be the last time we visited that office. I am appalled.

Rosemary Bogdan said...

AMEN!!!