KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Straight Talk from Father

One of the things about writing a blog is that the ideas often mull about in my head before they find their way to print. While all this musing is going on, I am bouncing the ideas off my family. Or after I’ve written a post, the ideas are still swirling in my head so my family continues to hear about them. Which is why after Mass, one of my sons said,” I think I’ve heard that sermon before.”

Actually, he had not heard that exact sermon, but he had heard the theme. A while back I wrote a post Sentire Cum Ecclesia. It took a while to sort out how we can struggle with teachings of the Church but not dissent from the Church so my family heard about this a lot.

Today, Father took up this theme. If we claim to love Christ, we must follow his commandments. These commandments are set forth in Scripture and in Tradition. Christ’s teachings are preserved for us in the Church. When was the last time you heard a priest speak from the pulpit and say, “Even if you do not understand the teachings of the Church you are expected to follow them. And you are expected to seek the truth and learn about the teachings so that you can understand them better.” That is what my parish heard today. And he even used the Church’s teaching on contraception as an example. He stated it is a grave sin to be using artificial contraception. It needs to be confessed. And if you knowingly withhold confessing this sin, the rest of your confession is invalid.

The wonderful thing is that this straight talk was not hellfire and brimstone. It was clothed in love. We are called to love. Love requires action. Humble obedience is an act of love.

1 comment:

Barb, sfo said...

I want to join your parish. WE got "Storytime with Father." Lots of little anecdotes about love, including something on some ND student who killed himself and no one in the dorms even knew him, and that old joke about the wife who wanted a gift that could go from 0 to 100 in under 6 seconds so the husband bought her a bathroom scale...after the 5th story I lost count of stories and lost track of the point. AAARG!!!