KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Friday, June 12, 2009

"Slutty" not offensive but "not classy" is?

The whole dust up between David Letterman and Sarah Palin has been all over the internet for several days now. You can read about it here, here, and here. The bottom line is David Letterman was vulgar and insulting and thought it was funny. He still sees no need to apologize. He excused his "joke" about Palin's daughter being "knocked-up" by Alex Rodriguez by saying he was talking about the 18-year-old Bristol Palin and not the 14-year-old Willow Palin. That makes it okay?

What I find interesting is the following exchange between MSNBC reporter Contessa Brewer and John Ziegler, a media critic who recently interviewed Sarah Palin.



I am truly amazed that Ms. Brewer can dismiss Sarah Palin's offense at being called "slutty" by David Letterman as overly sensitive hurt feelings yet gets visibly irate when John Ziegler suggests the NBC network acts less than classy. Does she really believe that a woman should laugh off misogynous epithets but come unglued over the accusation of media bias? Is that what it takes for her to get ahead in the world of broadcasting? How sad.

3 comments:

Rosemary Bogdan said...

I totally agree that it would be offensive even if he had been talking about the 18yo. But obviously, he was either talking about the 14yo (since she was the only daughter at the game) or he didn't bother to confirm which daughter was there. I don't understand why he doesn't AT LEAST acknowledge this mix-up.

Scrapping in Circles said...

I agree. The double standard of the current mainstream media is frustrating.

Karen said...

This doesn't surprise me coming from the liberal media. It's perfectly acceptable for the liberal media to dish it out and to act as though the conservatives are crazy if they are offended, but as soon as you point out where they [the liberals] are wrong, they start to lose it.
I love how the reporter lost her composure at the end of the interview.