KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz Jägerstätter

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Soup for One


Usually, I subjugate my food preferences to those of the rest of my family. I really enjoy good fish and seafood but most of my family wants meat. I can get some of them to occasionally eat shrimp. When we do go meatless, it is usually an egg and cheese meal. However, right now I am at the peak of my home grown tomato crop. I absolutely love gazpacho. The rest of my family turn their noses up at the idea of cold soup. Too bad. I used four of my lovely red tomatoes and whipped up a batch of gazpacho. I guess I'll be eating it for lunch for the next week, but that is okay. This is so yummy!

I used the recipe for roasted gazpacho from my favorite all-purpose cookbook, How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman. This is one of those recipes that you don't have to follow exactly. It gives you the basic principle and then you work with what you have. Basically, put four unpeeled whole tomatoes in a roasting pan. Add in about ten peeled cloves of garlic. Then add onion, zucchini, squash, and eggplant (whatever you have handy) cut into large chunks. I used one large onion, two small zucchini and two small squash. I didn't have any eggplant. Drizzle 1/2 cup olive oil over the vegetables and roast in a 400º oven for about 30 minutes until the squash and zucchini are soft.

Peel the tomatoes and put everything in a large bowl. Add four cups of water and four slices of stale bread that have the crusts cut off. (I used a large hunk of focaccia bread that had gotten a little stale.) Add 1/4 cup of wine vinegar. Chill in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.

Put every thing in your food processor or blender and process until smooth. Add salt and pepper as desired. Pour it through a strainer to remove bits of seed and skin. Serve cold with a dollop of sour cream and garnish with finely chopped tomato, cucumber, or cilantro.

I am open to sharing this with my family, but if they don't accept the offer I will just enjoy this little self-indulgence.

Bon appetit!

3 comments:

Rosemary Bogdan said...

This sound so delicious I'm salivating. And I have almost everything to make it. (
Wonder what the family would say....)

MondayCampaigns said...

Gazpacho is definitely a refreshing change from egg and cheese meals!
I intern with the non-profit Meatless Monday and I think the recipes on our website may make even the meat-lovers in your family more inclined toward going meatless. Because of the strong nutrition focus, there are a plethora of recipes (featured this week a delicious Layered Taco Salad: http://www.meatlessmonday.com/pepper-olive-taco-salad/)
to encourage people to cut meat out of their diets once a week for better health (and a lower carbon footprint!)
Thanks! Ashwini

Denise said...

Ashwini,

Thank you for the link! It is a very nice selection of meatless recipes. As Catholics, we do try to eat meatless once per week, but we do it on Fridays, not Mondays. I guess the Catholic Church has been ahead of the curve. It has been advocating one meatless day per week for centuries.