KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Thursday, October 22, 2009

The paperwork is healthy--the patient, not so much

An update to my previous post: At this point, I have figured out that the referral for my son to follow up on his intermittent testicular torsion was for the urologist to see him but not to treat him. The reason for this is that the doctor who saw him in the emergency room did not write down testicular torsion on either the record or the referral. He wrote down "Mom wants a referral, please evaluate." In order to get the necessary surgery, I have to take my son in to the primary care doctor. At that point they will put in the necessary referral. They will then look at this referral with no regard for the previous referral or evaluation by the civilian urologist. Since this is a new referral, they will first decide if there is room in the military facility for him to be seen. (This was done with the last referral and it was determined that there was not room for him to be seen.) If they determine that they cannot see him in the military facility, they will put his referral into the civilian referral process. That will then take 4-6 weeks for it to be approved. At that point we can schedule a visit with the civilian urologist and start the process for surgery all over again. It is as if the evaluation by the previous urologist doesn't even exist because the paperwork was insufficient. Once all the paperwork is in order, perhaps we can actually take care of the patient.

No comments: