KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Saturday, January 02, 2010

Black-eyed peas? Cabbage? Other?

Just curious. What do you eat on New Years Day? I grew up eating black-eyed peas and figured that was the universal food to start the New Year. Then the Air Force moved us to Ohio and everyone was fixing cabbage. I am back in black-eyed pea country again. I cooked them with the ham bone from our Christmas dinner, some onion, salt, pepper, thyme, and crushed red pepper. If I had a few fresh jalepenos, I would have thrown that in too. Served them over rice with some fresh homemade cornbread. It was true comfort food. What about you?

3 comments:

Colleen said...

We had turkey! We go away for Thanksgiving and never get the leftovers or all those yummies we like. So we make a turkey on New Year's Day and eat leftovers all weekend. Happy New Year!

gradchica said...

here in VA we had black eyed peas in a chunky vegetable soup. Growing up we had whiskey. Well, the adults did--whoever was the "first foot" in the door brought some to share.

Diana said...

Definitely black eyed peas, although I seem to be the only one who likes them. I season with bacon, onions, salt and pepper. Happy New Year!