KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Friday, September 10, 2010

Ordinary Things

I know that a few of my blog posts have traveled far and wide and have resonated with literally hundreds of readers. I also know that other blog posts have touched the hearts of a mere handful of readers. Some blog posts seem rather innocuous and unnoticed yet I will be surprised because a single reader lets me know that she was deeply moved by something I wrote. Especially lately, my words may never reach the pages of this blog. My presence is needed in front of a class of college students learning the fundamentals of anatomy and physiology or in the kitchen providing the physical nutrition and spiritual bonding of family meals. Maybe there is someone who needs me to sit at his bedside and hold his hand. Sometimes my work is very anonymous as I wash and fold yet another load of laundry. And sometimes my calling is not to give, but to receive. I need to receive the wisdom of Scripture and the spiritual renewal of prayer. Sometimes I need the physical renewal of a nap.

Each of these activities can be equally holy and pleasing to God. Certainly, if I were directing the world I would issue great utterances that would change the world. But most of the time, God does not want me to change the whole world. He just wants me to do what needs to be done in my little small corner of the world. As Mother Teresa said, "do ordinary things with extraordinary love." I will trust God to make great use of my ordinary things.

4 comments:

Barb, sfo said...

So true--and good to keep in mind as I am planning the week ahead and how it will all balance out around here. (I'm still getting used to the "family minus one" dynamic with Big Brother off to college now!)

Denise said...

Barb,
When my oldest left for college setting the table could almost bring me to tears as I set one less plate than usual. I still miss each of my children when they are gone, but as a family we are adapting to the "family minus one, two, or three and sometimes plus one or two or three". Interesting times.

Barb, sfo said...

I don't set the table ever as we eat "buffet style" so for me it's packing up bulk purchases (like meat) into meal-size portions. Packaging for 4 instead of 5--and then making a few individual packages for when we've got an extra person among us.

Rosemary Bogdan said...

Denise, what a nice post. Can I ever relate to this family-minus feeling. We are now at family minus five (counting my new son-in-law). It's a strange and sad feeling.