KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The next step in the journey


As I wrote back in June, my husband has lymphoma. No one ever calls this disease cured, but today we got the best news possible. After six cycles of chemotherapy, he is pronounced in complete remission. The roller coaster has paused if not ended. We have completed phase I. We could not have done this without the Grace of God and the countless prayers offered on my husband's behalf. So many of you have generously offered prayers. Know that all of you, whether I know your name or not, have been in my daily prayers. I learned early on in this challenge that we pray our way through situations, not out of them. This is no time for spiritual complacency. My husband and I will continue to pray for you. We are eternally in your debt.

This past weekend we had a first step in our return towards normalcy. Before, just as my husband began to recover from the effects of one chemotherapy cycle he would get zapped with the next cycle. This time there was no next cycle. While he is still feeling some of the residual side effects, he is closer to feeling like his old self than he has been in months. On Monday we took advantage of the beautiful fall weather and the federal holiday to drive to Maryland and walk the battlefield of Antietam. It is somewhat ironic that we would celebrate life by visiting the site of so much death, but it was a wonderful outing. I have never been much of a scholar of military history but found myself fascinated by the battle details when I could actually walk the ground and see the perspectives of the soldiers. I also found myself offering quite a few Hail Mary's for the repose of the souls of all who fell there. As a former military member and a current military wife and military mother, I know there are times when deadly military force must be brought to bear. It is evidence of our fallen human nature. It is always a sorrowful state. Military victory should not engender national triumphalism.

Now we go forward with our new reality. There will be periodic checks for the possible recurrence of cancer. But for now, my husband is a cancer survivor, not a cancer patient.

Blessed Father Seelos, thank you for your prayers. Please continue to pray for us.

St. Therese of Lisieux, thank you for your prayers. Please continue to pray for us.

2 comments:

RobKPhD said...

Praise God!

Heide said...

Great news, Denise! It's good to know our prayers have been heard.