KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz Jägerstätter

Monday, February 07, 2011

Bargain hunting to make Mom proud


My mother is still critically ill and in the ICU at MD Anderson. She has been hospitalized with acute leukemia since December 26. For over a month now her condition has been tenuous. As I mentioned here, I feel empty since I can no longer just pick up the phone and share a moment with her.

Yesterday I found a great deal on Craigslist. It is the perfect cabinet for a small space I have off my kitchen. It is sort of a mud room since it is the entrance off the garage. However, there is no door separating it from the kitchen so everything that gets tossed in there is clearly visible. Now I have a cabinet to hold dog food, dog dishes, first aid supplies, soft drinks, etc. I so wanted to call Mom and tell her about my find.

My mom loves a bargain. It must be genetic. Both my daughter and I love the thrill of a treasure hunt at the local garage sale or thrift shop. And we have found treasures: her prom dress; my china; a couple of paintings; lots of handy household items; and more than a few really great outfits.

I am very grateful my mother taught me that the value of our purchases has to do with their usefulness and not the store label that accompanies them. It seemed almost ironic the other day when the thrift shop cashier put my $8.00 worth of treasure in a used Nordstroms shopping bag. It was a very sturdy bag with secure handles. The name on the side did not make my dishes any prettier. But it did make the bargain seem a little sweeter. My mother would have loved it.

2 comments:

Barb, sfo said...

Yes, a great bargain--and I understand how you wish you could just call your Mom and tell her the tale of how you shopped for it!

My prayers are with her, and with you.

Stacy @ Catholic Moms Helper said...

I just wanted to let you know that coming from a family full of bargain shoppers (we just did next winters clothes shopping to get all the bargains and yes, I've got a coupon binder)I appreciate your joy @ a bargain and wanting to share it with your mom. I am praying for you and your family to St. Scholastica today and will remember you tomorrow on the Feast of Our Lady of Lourdes.