KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz Jägerstätter

Sunday, February 20, 2011

A different sort of TSA story

I will be returning home soon. We had my mother's funeral this past Friday and I am needed back at my own home front. I will be back here before too long. I cannot begin to thank everyone who offered prayers, logistical help, food, prayers, etc. The generosity of everyone has been overwhelming.

However, I must share one episode of kindness. Upon hearing the news of my mother's death I was consumed with making the arrangements to get all my children and my husband to the funeral. Once I found myself actually at the airport I had time to absorb the reality of the situation and was feeling a little teary eyed. I handed my ID to the TSA agent at the entrance to the security screening line. He asked how I was doing. I am not sure why I didn't just say "fine". I said, "I've been better." He looked up and asked what was wrong. I told I was on my way to my mother's funeral. He said, "I am so sorry." Then he handed me my ID and said, "God bless you." He certainly did not have to take such an interest in my emotional state and he certainly took a chance by saying "God bless you." In this day and age such a simple kindness could be construed as inappropriate by many people who seek to exclude God from all public places. I am grateful for this agent's simple prayer. It strengthened me for the journey ahead.

No comments: