KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Holiness

This Lent I am reading Fr. Larry Richards' book, Surrender. Fr. Richards is not speaking of a passive giving up. Rather, he is speaking about an active life that lives the prayer Christ taught us: Thy will be done.

It is very easy to say, "I am a good person. I follow the Ten Commandments. I try to be nice to everyone. I help the poor." But God doesn't want us to just be nice. He created each of us for Heaven. He wants each of us to be holy. He calls each of us to be a saint.

Holiness requires that we seek the will of God in all things. How often do I  map out my plan for life and forget to compare it to God's plan for me? Figuring out God's will can be challenging since God does not send us a Powerpoint presentation with bullet statements for our vocation and mission. But He does give us the Church. He does  give us Scripture. And he does speak to us through prayer if we are patient enough to listen.

Fr. Richards ended the first chapter of his book with a prayer from St. Augustine of Hippo. I will end this post with same prayer. Seeking holiness is the first step to seeking God's plan.

Breathe in me, O Holy Spirit, that my thoughts may all be holy.
Act in me, O Holy Spirit, that my work, too, may be holy.
Draw my heart, O Holy Spirit, that I love but what is holy.
Strengthen me, O Holy Spirit, to defend all that is holy.
Guard me, then, O Holy Spirit, that I always may be holy.
Amen.



No comments: