KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz Jägerstätter

Sunday, July 29, 2012

I refuse to hide in the basement

Most of the time I really like what well established Catholic author and my Northern Virginia neighbor  Elizabeth Foss writes. But today on her Facebook page she endorsed and linked to this blog post by Jen Hatmaker:

This is precisely how I feel about the Chick-Fil-A debacle and all the other accoutrements of the culture wars. I am so over it. I'm so over the fear mongering and the hate propaganda. I'm over the political posturing and power plays. I'm over the finger pointing and name calling. The storms are raging overhead, and let me tell you something: 
I'm going to the basement.
Jen Hatmaker goes on to invite us all down to her basement to contemplate the really important things like love, feeding the hungry, justice, etc. She hates how the Gospel has been turned into a "bludgeoning tool".


I have very mixed feelings about this hiding in the basement thing. I agree we do not need to rage at people. We need to love everyone, even those who disagree with us. We need to treat everyone with the dignity and respect they are entitled to because they are children of God. Name calling and demonizing our opponents offer no solutions. 

That said, I will not hide in the basement and allow attacks on my faith and on my family to go unchallenged. I will stand up for the voiceless and the marginalized and speak loudly. The unborn, the disabled, the elderly, the sick need my voice. My children and my children's children need me to stand up for virtue. They need to have the freedom to live a faithfully Catholic life--not just on Sunday in church but every day in every aspect of their lives. Anyone who thinks the "culture wars" are just about people with differing opinions trying to live and let live is naive. People with true moral objections to homosexuality are being forced to provide photography services, reception halls, and catering services to gay weddings. Catholic social services have to cease serving the children in need if they will not provide adoption services to gay couples. The US government refused to renew the contract with Catholic immigration and refugee services because they would not provide abortion and contraception to victims of human trafficking. Catholic businesses are being forced to pay for abortifacients, contraception, and sterilization for their employees. 

So I will not hate those who attack my faith and family. I pray unceasingly for their conversion. But I will also not condone, minimize, ignore, or accept the evil they endorse. Standing up for the truth of the Gospel does not mean I am using it as a bludgeoning tool. Saints put on the armor of Christ and wield the sword of His truth. They endure the discomforts of battle. They do not hide in the basement.

UPDATE:
While I am not hiding in the basement, I am also not looking conquer or vanquish a foe. I am hoping for conversion. Please see this post.

1 comment:

Rosemary Bogdan said...

I couldn't agree more. In fact, now more than ever, I believe we must come out of the basement and speak up loudly, clearly, and courageously. It is our duty as citizens and as believers.