KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Monday, August 27, 2012

Feast of St. Monica






St. Monica is a patron of this blog and a very special saint to me. She is the mother of the great St. Augustine. Now, I have a tremendous devotion to our Blessed Mother. But, if truth be told, there is a part of me that says, "You know, Mary was full of grace and born without the stain of original sin. That certainly gives her a leg up on the holiness scale." Monica, on the other hand, had a fallen nature,  She had foibles and weaknesses. Yet she was still able to be a great wife and mother. She never gave up on her son when he was careening down the wrong path. She followed him doggedly. He said he was going to Rome so she went to Rome. Of course, he actually went to Milan. So she followed him to Milan. She prayed for him without ceasing. She didn't try to do it alone. She sought the counsel of St. Ambrose. Her son eventually did repent and became one of the greatest minds of the Church.  I look at St. Monica and think, "She was a Catholic mom, just like me. I can do this. I can persevere even when things are looking bleak."

St. Monica, please pray for all mothers. And please pray for all of our children, especially those who are struggling.






No comments: