KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Thursday, January 03, 2013

A handwritten touch


I enjoy electronic communication. I email, blog, tweet, and facebook. But you know what I realized this Christmas? I absolutely love snail mail. There is still something magical about going to the mailbox and finding real communication. Something that is not a computer generated missive with my name electronically inserted into the salutation. Something that has a hand written signature. If I am lucky, there will be a newsy note with the loops and whirls of a friend's unique penmanship. I have to admit that I have succumbed to the typed Christmas letter but I try to include a personal comment or two and I always sign my name.

Maybe that is why I have always insisted to my children that thank you notes must be hand written. An email will do in a pinch, but I think if you really want to show gratitude, take the time to select the stationery, write a note, address the envelope, and find a stamp.

Maybe this year I will send a few snail mail notes just to say "Hi!". Then again, that may go the way of many other New Year's resolutions. Still, in our cold electronic world, there is something very warm about a hand-written note.




No comments: