KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Saturday, February 08, 2014

Cut the cable!

My hubby is amazing. He just finished installing this antenna and we are getting great reception and an incredible number of channels. Who knew so many channels are actually broadcast over the airwaves and not just cable? We get NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, USA, ION, PBS, and a whole host of specialty channels. When he first talked about getting an antenna I was picturing the old aerial contraption from my childhood. Instead, this a flat pad that looks like a wired mouse pad.

A few months ago we got rid of cable TV and were streaming content to the television via the ROKU  or Chromecast. I already subscribed to Amazon Prime so we were getting plenty of streaming video content from that. I did splurge and subscribe to the ROKU channel Just Sports for $10 per month in order to get Spanish and Italian soccer which were no longer available on our cable stations anyway.  While we were getting rid of things we also got rid of land lines. We still get cable internet. All in all, we are saving $120 per month by cutting the cable cord. We thought we were going to have to give up live sports that could not be streamed via Wiziwig.com or the ROKU, but now with the antenna we will get most of what we had before. We miss out on ESPN, but we were not getting $100 per month worth of content from ESPN to justify keeping cable.

My only regret is that we didn't do this years ago!

No comments: