KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Friday, March 28, 2014

Bookshelf styles

I spent a bit of time at the hair salon this morning and had time to flip through a few of the home decor magazines. I saw something that made me so sad. This is not the exact picture I saw today, but it is same design idea:


See that bookshelf? They have wrapped all the books in craft paper to give them all a uniform look. They hang pictures over some of the shelves so that you can't easily remove some of the books. The books are not meant to be read, but only meant to be adornments to the decor. That might work for some families, but not our household.


This is my den library. I do use some of my shelves for decorative items, but the books are there to be read. We have a similar wall of books in the computer room. Every bedroom has a bookshelf filled with books. Even the television room has books. Military movers always groaned when they saw our house and realized how many boxes of books they would be moving.

When I visit other people's homes, I enjoy looking at other people's bookshelves because the titles they display offer a window into their lives and personalities. I would find it very dull to just look at monochromatic paper spines with no substance.

To each his own. I guess there is nothing wrong with a wall full of books that are nothing but decoration. Still, it does make my bibliophile heart weep a bit. What about you?

1 comment:

Rosemary Bogdan said...

Books covered with craft paper. Now that's just weird. Books are beautiful and I agree that they say something about the owner. Are we to assume that books under the craft paper are never to be accessed?