KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Old Dog--New Tricks




I am trying to figure out how I missed out learning about the the food mill. I just bought one and it is wonderful! I've been making lots of fresh applesauce with the wonderful apples I've been getting from local farmers. With this handy gadget it is super easy. I just quarter the apples and fill up my stock pot until it is about half full. No peeling, coring or seeding is required. I add a cup of water, cover and simmer on the stove until the apples are very soft--mushy soft. Give the apples a stir every now and then to make sure the bottom apples are not sticking to the pot.  I position my food mill over another stock pot and ladle the soft apples in. I just start cranking the handle and beautiful applesauce comes out the bottom. Peels, stems, and seeds stay up top. You turn clockwise to get the applesauce but remember to give a frequent counter-clockwise turn to reposition the apples. You can process the applesauce for canning if you like, but I just ladled it into freezer safe containers and put it in the freezer. I could have used a food mill back when my children were eating baby food. I am looking forward to trying it out on a variety of fruits next summer.

Discovery number two is liquid chalk markers. I like using stick-on chalkboard labels for reusable storage jars in my pantry. It works pretty well but the regular pieces of chalk were not easy to use when I wanted to print small letters. With repeated handling of the container the chalk writing smudged easily. I just tried these liquid chalk markers. They are as easy to use as a pen and the liquid chalk flows on easily. It is also more durable. It wipes off easily with a damp cloth.  Even after 30 years of housekeeping there are still things to learn.




I guess the point of this post is just to remind myself that I never know it all. There is always one more thing to learn or one more innovation to try.

No comments: