KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz Jägerstätter

Friday, July 17, 2015

Wherein I get a bit radical

Wedding Procession by Maurice Denis, 1892

My latest piece is published over on Catholic Stand.  The Obergefell decision is now the law of the land. There are lots of Protestant sects falling all over themselves to embrace it and include same-sex marriage as part of their religious doctrine on marriage. So be it.

I am not sure that the Catholic Church can or should focus on turning back the clock to a time when the legal definition of marriage matched the Church view. In my article I argue that now that civil marriage as well as marriages in numerous Protestant churches includes same-sex couples, it is clear that the underlying view of marriage in these settings is incompatible with the Catholic view. Therefore, we need to stop assuming or pretending that they are the same thing. Actually, they have not been the same thing for decades. When marriage is viewed as a union that can be easily dissolved because one or the other party no longer finds the union personally satisfying that union was never a marriage in the Catholic sense.

My proposal is that we own up to this difference and act accordingly. Please head on over to Catholic Stand and let me know what you think!

No comments: