KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz Jägerstätter

Saturday, July 09, 2016

Make Your Own Metaphor


 Gardening can be a metaphor for so many things--faith, parenting, and life in general. I am not going to try and figure it out right now. I am just going to talk about gardening and you can apply it as you see fit.

I have about a dozen rose bushes around my house. Roses are the divas of my garden. At the moment, most of them are not blooming. I plead with them. I spray them. I feed them. They are so needy. Rose are So. Much. Work! Every now and then they tease me with with that wonderful color or that perfectly formed flower or that heavenly perfume. So I keep at it. I know their potential.



Hydrangeas, on the other hand come back every year and put on a glorious show with great big pompoms of color whether I pay attention to them or not.  I don't have to feed them, spray them, or do much of anything to them. Around the end of July, I trim them back so that they don't encroach on the grass so much. A few of these in a vase make a dramatic arrangement that lasts for days. It is an extravagant reward for so little effort.

Do not discount the value of annuals. I used to shun annuals because it seemed like such a waste to plant them every year. But I have grown to love a few baskets of bright color tucked in among the perennials. Sometimes I carefully pick out the contents of the baskets. But this year I picked up some ready made assortments from Walmart. I just plopped them in my hanging baskets and they took off with a lovely blend of color and textures. I know it is temporary. But it is still lovely. And it was easy. There is something to be said for flowers that do not make you their slave.


Then there is my wild side. We began in spring with daffodils that were followed by peonies and amsonia (star flowers).  Right now we are in the summer phase so my garden is this disordered mass of butterfly bushes, daisies, bee balm, and cone flowers. Mint grows wild everywhere. Sometimes the hardest part is figuring out what is a wanted plant and what is a weed. I have to let them abide in the garden together until the weeds declare themselves as such and I can pull them out. It is a never ending process. I have to stay vigilant because the weeds can crowd out the more desirable plants if I ignore them for just a few days

So like I said, gardening can be a lot like life whether I am talking about my faith life, family life, or professional life. Maybe that is why I garden.









                                                                           

No comments: