KITCHEN TABLE CHATS

Pull up a chair in my domestic church and let's chat!

I have worn many labels (Not in any particular order): Catholic, Wife, Mom,Gramma, Doctor, Major, Soccer Mom, Military Wife, Professor, Fellow.

All of these filter my views of the world. I hope that like St. Monica, I can through prayer, words and example, lead my children and others to Faith.
"The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity"--Blessed Franz J├Ągerst├Ątter

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

On second thought...



I subscribe to two print newspapers and numerous online new sources. I have to do this for my writing work, but I also feel a need to stay alert to the happenings in the world. However, sometimes the news is just so bleak it is tough to get past the headlines. I bury myself in the sports section and the crossword. Well, today even the sports section was disappointing since Lionel Messi was convicted of tax fraud. I understand that he will not serve jail time and I know that even the prosecutor acknowledged that Messi was unaware of the illegal tax scheme but it is still disappointing. So that leaves me with the crossword.

I do the weekday crossword puzzle daily and it is a rare day when I do not complete it. Usually by the time I have finished my morning coffee and breakfast it is done. I always do the puzzle in ink. I was surprised when someone thought this was a sign of supreme confidence. Actually, it is that I hate using a pencil to write on newsprint. The Sunday puzzle is a different beast altogether. If I am going to attempt it, it is going to hang around all week as I pick it up and do a bit here and there.

Part of the reason I like crossword puzzles is that they force you to push past your first impression or first instinct. You have to take a second look and put the pieces together in a novel or unique way. That is the way I am thinking about the rest of the news. Currently, every level of government, from the local school board on up has betrayed what used to be universal ethical principles. So what does my second look tell me?

In the words of the psalmist:

Put no trust in princes,
in children of Adam powerless to save.
Who breathing his last, returns to the earth;
that day all his planning comes to nothing. (Ps 146:3-4)

The fact that the world has turned its back on goodness and truth and embraced evil and the lie of relativism does not mean that I have to follow suit. I can lament the hurried pace to Perdition that I see around me but I have the free will to choose otherwise. It is not an easy choice since I will be opposing many forces with worldly power. I may very well have to sacrifice my reputation and my livelihood and my freedom. Many around the world add to that the sacrifice of their lives. But that is not an excuse to join in the rejection of righteousness and justice. So my second look says the only thing that has changed is the ease with which I can live out the Gospel truth, not the imperative that I do so. In the words of St Paul:

10Finally, draw your strength from the Lord and from his mighty power.11Put on the armor of God so that you may be able to stand firm against the tactics of the devil.12For our struggle is not with flesh and blood but with the principalities, with the powers, with the world rulers of this present darkness, with the evil spirits in the heavens.13Therefore, put on the armor of God, that you may be able to resist on the evil day and, having done everything, to hold your ground.14So stand fast with your loins girded in truth, clothed with righteousness as a breastplate,15and your feet shod in readiness for the gospel of peace.16In all circumstances, hold faith as a shield, to quench all [the] flaming arrows of the evil one.17And take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
(Eph 6:10-17)


No comments: